Friday, April 2, 2010

Spring in Livingston County

Another "Sunday drive" took place a couple days back.
-
I was heading back from some deliveries for my "day job" (which you can check out over to the right sidebar) and decided it was too nice of a day to head back to work. For a few minutes.
-
So I took what I like to call a "left turn." Instead of heading back by the most direct route, I took a longer way. Most everyone that lives close to Fowlerville knows about Six Corners, also known as Fleming, halfway between M-59 and Fowlerville on Grand River Avenue. It consists of three roads that intersect -- thus the "six corners" reference -- has a couple businesses, an old church that may be refurbished someday, an old schoolhouse that serves as a learning center on history, and a few homes.

Well, I was heading west on Grand River Avenue and turned north onto Fleming Road. It took me past a very old cemetery and then open fields on both sides. Except for these maple trees. A picture doesn't really do it justice, but just about every tree had a white bucket hanging from it, collecting sap for delicious maple syrup. As I headed further north, I came to Marr Road and turned right to go back to Burkhart Road. I turned left on Burkhart Road and headed north a couple more miles to Allen Road. It was time to head closer to Fowlerville so I turned left, heading west. I had heard about Cook Lake but had never been in this area. Allen Road dips south around this lake and then continues west in a straight line all the way to Stow Road. There is a park to the northeast of Cook Lake, crowded with mobile homes and RVs, and there are a few houses around the lake. I'm a bit curious if it is a recreation lake for boats or is more for fishing.Anyone with a bit of information about Cook Lake?

No comments: