Wednesday, June 20, 2012

1896 Pearl Laundry

The picture shown above can be found in my latest book, Through the Eyes of a Country Editor, a biography of G.L. Adams, publisher and editor of the The Fowlerville Review for 55 years.  While trying to date this wintry photograph of the northeast block, facing East Grand River, I judged it to be sometime between 1900 and 1915.  But, since I'm kind of stuck in 1896 at the moment with numerous posts and articles, I thought I would offer this view because of the little rectangular sign at the far left side of the picture in between the large window and small window, both facing North Grand avenue.

When I zoomed as far in as possible on that sign, it notes that Pearl Laundry is located inside this storefront.  Under some articles I have kept from the newspaper for 1896 I found the following announcement:

Mrs. E. Kinsler has sold the Pearl Laundry to Mrs. Charles Mitchell, who took possession on Saturday, of last week.  Mrs. Mitchell needs no introduction to the citizens of this village, having been a resident here for many years and we bespeak for her a liberal patronage and we are assured the work entrusted to her will be kept at its usual high standard.  Frank Lyons will remain for a time and Mrs. Kinsler has returned to Northville.

No comments: