Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Village of Nicholson

The other day I was in conversation with a friend and he mentioned the village of Nicholson. We live off of Nicholson Road and I mentioned that. Well, lo and behold at the very north end of Nichsolson Road, dead-ending into Lovejoy Road, at the very northern border of Livingston County, there is a small village. Or at least a few homes, what looks like a former storefront, and this church. We've lived here for over 12 years, but who knew this little stone church existed? So, on a Friday I decided to take a Sunday drive. The building has obviously been preserved, since there is a new steel roof on it, but it is boarded-up and not being used. The backside of the church looks like this. As I took the picture, a glint of red caught my eye so I pulled a little closer. There used to be stained-glass in the front entrance but it has been broken out. I stopped by the Conway Township offices but it was locked up tighter than the proverbial drum, so I tried doing some research online on this building but to no avail. Any thoughts from my readers? The denomination? When it was in use? Why the roof has been updated but sitting there boarded-up?

As an additional note, I did happen to come across a comment that in 1907 Frank Nichols purchased the Israel Colborne farm on the county line north of Fowlerville and would be moving there soon. So, is this when the village of Nicholson came into being? I'll be calling the township offices because I'm intrigued.

No comments: