Thursday, February 2, 2012

Squint Shot 020212

Here is a new mystery . . .
As my friend and I were wandering about the third floor of the Harmon building, my friend began scrounging around with the contents of a big, wooden bin that appeared to contain wood trim and miscellaneous due to be discarded. She pulled out an odd, very smooth, and slightly curved stick. Of course, I immediately tried to figure out how to photograph it. It leaned nicely against a wall.

Upon closer inspection, the top is carved out about 3-4 inches deep. Tomorrow's squint shot will show a close-up.

Knowing a little bit of the backstory of this building, we started trying to figure out what this might have been used for. Both the I.O.O.F. (Independent Order of the Odd-Fellows) and the Masons (before moving over to the third floor of what is now the Handy Township building) used to hold monthly meetings on the third floor of the Harmon building. It was then known as the Palmerton block and in later years, the Sidell block.

To our untrained eyes, it looks to have been some sort of a candle-holder that may have been held by a member leading in the procession of members -- anyone's thoughts? I have tried repeatedly to get information from the modern-day I.O.O.F. organization with no response. I haven't had a chance to determine if the Masons may have used it either.

If anyone has any information on what this unique piece of wood may have been used for, I would love to hear from you. We may just have an interesting piece of history that could have landed in the landfill if it weren't for my friend.

No comments: