Saturday, June 16, 2012

Squint Shot Updates

This is the first time since February, 2009 -- that would be nearly three and a half years -- that I am not posting a squint shot.  On one level, I feel bad to have broken a consistent string of pictures, but on another level, the feeling of satisfaction coming from posting over a thousand pictures in and around Fowlerville is astounding.

Grab any month under the labels and enjoy browsing and you will see some fun things.

Even though I have no squint shot, I do have some updates though.  One of my readers offered some additional information that I would like to pass along.

The squint shot for June 2, which you can find by clicking here, was also the home of Mike Godfredson.  Many of you may remember him as the manager of Fowlerville Farms for over 20 years.  He is now retired and continues to be active in the Fowlerville Rotary Club.

Another squint shot, which you can find by clicking here, asked the question of which house belonged to Ike and Arline Harris, owners of the Orr Theatre.  They lived at 125 North Street.

A third bit of information revolved around the building which now houses the Family Impact Center.  Many will remember that as the old administration building.  Before that, it was a Ford dealership, where trucks and tractors were sold.  It was mentioned the front of the building had a large, plate-glass window, showroom where there are now solid walls.  As I was doing research for The Fowlerville Chronicles, I did come across information that the dealership had relocated there in 1958, when it was rumored I-96 would be about where Sharpe Road is now.  After it was decided the highway would be south of town, the owners of the dealership moved back to the downtown area, and now the Ford dealership is located on the south side of the expressway.

Once I came across that information, while working on my first book, I drove to the north side of town to see if I could find any evidence that this building used to house a Ford dealership.  I lucked out.  On the south side of the building, the top parts of four letters could still be seen and I managed to get the following picture:
The outside walls have now been redone and these words are no longer visible.

As I ponder this post and think about other updates I will add, I may temporarily suspend squint shots for a while -- or until something catches my eye.  I would ask my readers that  if you have anything you think would be interesting to show on this site, please contact me and I will gladly photograph it.  In the meantime, I will be adding history lessons as I have time.

Please feel free to contact me if there is anything you are interested in reading about.  And, as always, thank you for continuing to visit the site.

No comments: