Thursday, February 9, 2017

1875 Local News

The old-timey news editors were a hoot!  That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.  Every issue, while G.L. Adams was the editor of The Fowlerville Review, contained a local section (and other columns) that now give us, the readers, a sense of what it was like all those years earlier.  The editors were gossips and, if you didn't want something to show up in the newspaper, you'd best keep quiet about it.

My favorite in this part of the local column is, "Our streets were enlivened on Saturday last by a lead pencil seller."  Of course, I have to wonder how many gathered around this traveling salesman, what was his set-up, and how did he hawk his wares.  Like a carnival barker?  
I wish I could personally thank G.L. Adams for all the information he provided in the newspaper.  Otherwise, the Chronicles and also "Through the Eyes of a Country Editor," "Juniper and Anise," and "Tilly Loves Johnny" never would have happened.


No comments: