James A. Lockwood has exchanged his farm south of this village and a dwelling house in the village with O.H. Corbett for the Clifton House.
According to information found by Mike Grimm, this wooden structure at the northeast corner of South Grand and Church street was probably not right at the corner. There may have been a blacksmith building at the corner. When this building burned in 1900, the brick structure, which still stands, replaced the former Clifton House/Lockwood Exchange was renamed the Lockwood Hotel.