Wednesday, October 19, 2011

2011 Farming Equipment

Thought I would take a short break from 1877 information to show the following picture:
As I continue to read old articles, I'm reminded time and time again that this is a farming community -- maybe not as much as years gone by -- but still an agricultural community. Men living in the village made a living threshing for farmers. Holstein cows were plentiful and competitions held annually to grade these animals. As late at the 1930s, many villagers had mini-farms right in their backyards -- chickens, goats, pigs, and even a cow or two.

So I'm not really sure why I am surprised when I get behind a large piece of equipment and slowly parade through town. Is it possibly because it is so much bigger than what we are used to seeing? For sure, when it is right at the main four corners!

No matter, it is harvest time and I'm pretty sure there will be some more large farm equipment working its way through the village.

No comments: