Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Handy Township Presentation

The Handy Township offices are now in possession of a copy of The Fowlerville Chronicles. This evening, I was given the opportunity to speak for a few moments on how Handy Township and the village of Fowlerville are so inter-related in the history pages of this book.

At one time, in the not too distant past, both governmental agencies were housed in the same building at the corner of North Grand Avenue and Power Street. This building also served as the location for the fire department before the 1960s. As I sat for a few minutes waiting for the meeting to begin, I looked a little closer at some of the brickwork (which can be seen behind Dr. Hank Vaupel, Township Supervisor, and I) along the north and west walls of the building. The west wall in particular shows evidence of a larger opening, where newer bricks have been added to accommodate a large window. As one of the trustees mentioned, the council room used to be a bay for the fire truck.So, as I sat there waiting for my turn, I thought back to all of the articles I read (some of which I included in the book) of the changes made in this building. In the 1920s, a "ladies rest room" was somewhere in the first floor -- not too far from the library. So many functions and events were held in this three-story building, and I just sat soaking it all in thinking of what to say to the council.

When my turn came, I had two purposes to fulfill; first off to present the copy for the township's library, and the second, to thank Bill Call for his encouragement early on as the seed of thought grew about turning all of this information into book form. Bill wasn't there, unfortunately, but I truly hope the word is passed along to him how much I have appreciated that he saw the value in my work.

It continues to be quite a ride . . .

No comments: