Sunday, October 24, 2010

Squint Shot 102410

In the mid-1900s, the storefront just to the right of the Standard station that stood at the corner of South Second Street and East Grand River was a variety store. It was owned by the Line family. They also had a store in Howell.I had hoped I would come across an obituary to go along with this headstone -- but no luck. So, I thought I would offer up a bit of information I found while researching The Fowlerville Chronicles. The Lines were very active in making a successful storefront, eventually adding additional square footage to the building. In one article I found, their one-year anniversary celebration included "grab bags" for the kids to pick out. Makes me wonder what may have been in those bags. Bubble gum? Rings? Whistles? Local dime stores used to be a wealth of delights for kids; and probably adults too.

In later years, the Line's Five and Dime would become the D&C 5-Cents to $5. I grew up with one of those chain stores in the Lansing area -- Colonial Village on the south end, to be exact -- and loved that store. Those are great memories. Now I know most will remember when the Burnies had the V&S Variety store, but now for my question. Does anyone reading this website remember when Lines operated this storefront? I would love to hear from you and what you remember. Feel free to post, even anonymously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does anyone remember when Ernie Lang bought the store?