Monday, January 23, 2012

Squint Shot 012312

This is both a squint shot and a history lesson. This name -- Chris Ludtke, May 9, 1919 -- was written on one of the walls on the second floor of the Harmon building. My friend noticed it as we wandered through the upper floors on a late summer, very warm day. Quite seriously, I don't know how I missed it during other photograph-taking escapades! I love when someone has decided to make their presence be recorded.

The Ludtke name has been around Fowlerville for a very long time and I have come across it numerous times while doing research for the upcoming biography. I thought I would look back in my records around 1919 to see if I could find the Ludtke name. I did, but it wasn't until 1921 I recorded an obituary. It follows:

William F. Ludtke died at his home in East Handy early Monday morning after an illness of only a few days.

He was born at Gross Dallentine, Germany, August 13, 1848, where he spent the first 40 years of his life, and was there married to Miss Amelia Engfer in 1873, coming to the United States in 1888 and settling in this township, where he resided until his death, his wife having preceded him to the better land.

He was the father of 13 children, Paul H., Max, Chris and Pauline of Handy, Mrs. Edith Risch and Martha Hagerman of Howell, Mrs. Alphonso Bicek of Oceola and Mrs. William Veith of Cohotah, who survive hime.

He was a faithful member of the Evangelical Lutheran church for many years.

The funeral services will be held at the Lutheran church Wednesday, the Rev. J.B. Sause officiating.

No comments: