Sunday, January 22, 2012

Squint Shot 012212

The Harmon building has housed many different businesses, including being a hardware store, so I guess it should be no surprise to find a nail scale left behind! From the looks of this one, which was found on the second floor, toward the back of the building, it hardly looks used. At one time, there was an entrance at the back of the building, off of North Grand Avenue. The stairway goes up from street level for about half a floor, then turns 90 degrees and arrives at the second floor. This may well have been additional shopping area when it was a hardware store. As a side note, today marks the third anniversary of The Fowlerville Observer, originally named The Ville. On January 22, 2009, I began this website for a couple of reasons. I was looking for an outlet for wanting to write and I was becoming more and more interested in knowing about how Fowlerville came to be. When I set the website up, I also thought I would do more current reporting but that isn't always possible -- having a day job prevents me from spending much time "getting the story." But I have become fully-steeped in the history of the area and find it so rich.

Since that day three years ago, I have compiled and edited The Fowlerville Chronicles, took on the task of monitoring the historical collection and trying to help those with questions, worked the temporary museum for the 175th celebration, and am now in the final editing stages of the biography of G.L. Adams, editor and publisher of The Fowlerville Review, from 1874-1929. Whoever thought three years ago would start this snowball of events -- certainly not me -- but I sure have enjoyed it. I hope you do too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY