Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Squint Shot 012412

We are on the second floor of the Harmon building -- a huge ballroom where the International Order of Odd-Fellows used to meet. At one time, even, before the three-story building at the corner of North Grand and Power Street was built, the Masons would meet in this room.

While touring the room with my friend (whom I've mentioned helped me see more than I had on previous visits), she happened to look up and behind the canopy at the south end of the room. She pulled down a shade -- the red fabric -- to show how someone may have sat or stood behind the shade before a presentation. There were no shades on the sides of the canopy so I can only assume it was to shield someone temporarily.

I have to admit my imagination has been working overtime trying to figure out the real purpose for the shade -- if anyone has an idea of what kind of ceremonies would have been held by the I.O.O.F. or the Masons, I would love to have you leave a comment.

No comments: