Friday, March 18, 2011

1878 Ribbon Debacle

It would appear, in the late 1800s, arguments and disputes were played out in the local newspaper -- maybe instead of in court as so often happens in the modern world. The following letter was published in The Fowlerville Review and then a response was given the next week by Mr. Lambert Williams. The rebuttal:
Editor Review:

I saw in your last issue that one Miss Dora Washbourn, who lives, or makes her home at Lambert Williams, had, by cutting ribbon and paper, made a disgraceful appearance of Mr. E.D. Drew's dry good store. I have been in this place quite a number of years and never in my life had anything to do with such a display. But as my name is mentioned in it, I wish to say a few words in regard to it and hope the reader will bear somewhat with me.

This Dora Washbourn is a member of our family and was sent up town with a sample of silk ribbon to match in quality, but not in color. She found the color at Mr. Drew's store and supposing it to be the same quality as the sample, asked for five yards. The five yards was cut off and there was left from 1/8 to 1/4 of a yard, so the girl told Z.M. Palmerton that she would take that small piece as it would not any good to them and paid for it.

When she came home with it, it proved to be of a cotton quality of ribbon and wasn't of any use to us. She was sent back with the ribbon to see if they would take it back. But they would not take it back so the ribbon was left at the store. But the next morning finding my wife's name in large letters on exhibition in the showcase, I told Dora to go and see if Drew would exchange for other goods, if not she had better get it, and, as it was no good, to cut it up. She went to the store and Z.M. Palmerton refused to exchange other goods for it, so the ribbon was called for and she commenced clipping it up; but Z.M. Palmerton, clerk, thought the ribbon didn't make much of a show on the floor so he handed her paper to cut and, at the same time, using the most tantalizing language which provoked the girl to do what she never intended to do.

It does seem to me that Mr. Drew must want to have his goods advertised or he never would allow his clerk to put it in the Review. I wish to say that if any one should want to use any cotton ribbon, they will do better at Drew's store than at any store in town for I know that Z.M. Palmerton, clerk, with those beautiful smiles he puts on, will do all he can to make it pleasant and entertaining, especially for children, for he can hand them paper to clip to amuse themselves with, while doing up their parcels. Trade being light that morning, Zenes was sent out to ask a few friends in to see the elephant before it went to the Review office. Zenes thought he was doing a big thing in advertising that girl. After aiding her in her paper cutting and as the tail had been clipped off the elephant, I would have put my head between my legs and walked for the broom, and come to the conclusion that I had been beat at my own game. ~~Lambert Williams

Makes me wonder if there were any future apologies from Mr. Drew to the Williams for his clerk's behavior in egging on Miss Dora.

No comments: