Thursday, November 29, 2012

1900 Automobile Sighting

I got a kick out of the above blurb published in The Fowlerville Review in 1900.  As hardly any of us can imagine, the sight of a car was almost as rare as seeing Halley's Comet.  In the village of Fowlerville, it wouldn't be until 1903-5 before a couple of residents actually owned a car. 
 
And then, can you visualize, the sight of one of those cars chugging down Grand River avenue amidst horses tethered to the hitching posts or horses pulling buggies and wagons and all being startled by the unusual sound. 
 
I find it curious, even though we are out in the country somewhat, now it is the rare sight of a horse and rider that draws our attention (and my delight).
 
As a side note, as I wait for some pictures and information coming my way to post on this site, I am going to randomly grab articles from my over 300-page notebook cataloguing digital pictures of microfilm from the newspapers.  If anyone is interested in a particular subject during the years, in particular, 1874-1929, please feel free to comment or e-mail and I will look to see if I have what you are hoping for. 
 
In the meantime, don't forget to attend Christmas in the 'Ville, this Saturday, in the downtown area.  I'll be doing the 5K walk/run.

No comments: