Thursday, December 23, 2010

1893 World's Fair

I recently finished reading The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson (published in 2004), a story about the 1893 World's Fair held in Chicago, Illinois, as well as intertwining the first recognized serial killer, H.H. Holmes. It was an interestingly-told true story that quickly held my attention. As I have continued to research Fowlerville from 1874 to 1929 through the eyes of G.L. Adams, publisher and editor of The Fowlerville Review, I began to wonder if I would see any references to the world's fair. I did.

In 1890, this short blurb was discovered:

If the Chicagoians continue to quarrel about the location of the site in that city for the world's fair, Fowlerville had better step in and try and secure its removal to this city.

As the days have gone along, I have found references of Fowlerville residents attending the fair, train rates for round trips, as well as letters back to the village by those spending some time in Chicago. As I have a chance, I'll publish some of these letters and additional information regarding the fair as it appeared to be as much interest to those living around here just as it was across the nation.

No comments: