Friday, August 26, 2011

Squint Shot 082611

B.F. Hoag, b. Oct. 14, 1840, d. June 12, 1924, and
Martha Hoag, b. Apr. 17, 1851, d. Nov. 22, 1926.
I came across a "Letter From Wounded Boy," published in The Fowlerville Review toward the end of World War I, and I am wondering if this may have been their son. It follows:

France, Sept. 5, 1918.

Dear mother and father -- I just received your letter of May 31, to-day and am trying to answer it. I am well and feeling fine. Am out of the hospital and back once more doing duty. Have been transferred to the 409 Telegraph Rn. Am more contented now that I have heard from you. I also received five other letters, two from Gladys, one from Fred Williams, one from Della Layman and one from Hazel Hoag, a way distant cousin of mine in Iowa. She saw my name in the paper and wrote me a letter and her ancestors came from York state from where pa did so I take it that she is a distant cousin at any rate.

Now please don't worry as I am all O.K. and enjoying myself. I am glad you folks are all well and when I return there will be an extra one in the family and I am sure it will be a happy reunion. I know you would like to have me come home and tell my experiences but I am going to stay till it is all over and peace is signed.

Well, mother tell them all that I think of everyone during the day.

Now I must close and go to bed,

Your loving son,

Theodore G. Hoag

No comments: