In 1916, according to an article in The Fowlerville Review,
R.T. Sprague has purchased the old livery barn and lot of G.W. Reason and will tear down the old barn and erect a fine brick garage, 66x120. This takes another old firetrap off Grand River street and will add greatly to the appearance of the block.
This was the beginning of the Ford garage, which still stands. R.T. Sprague, who had recently married Ada Cole, was quickly becoming a successful businessman in the village, selling the latest and greatest Ford automobiles. A few weeks later,
The old livery barn which has stood on its present location for over 35 years is being razed to the ground and will make way for the new Sprague garage. This will make a marked improvement in the appearance of that section of Grand River street.