Saturday, April 2, 2011

Squint Shot 040211

The following two pictures, both of the same stove pipe cover, is located on the east wall of the Harmon building basement, up close to the ceiling. At the time I took these pictures, I wasn't totally certain what this plate was other than I figured it was covering a hole. Once I got back in front of my laptop I did a little research. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, when a stove pipe was no longer in use, plates such as this one would be secured over the hole. As I looked closer, I was intrigued by the scene at the center of the plate. It is a winter setting with a barn and wheat stacks. So now I'm on the look-out for further stove pipe covers -- and I found a second one in the basement, which will be shown in a later squint shot. Similar style, different picture.

No comments: