Monday, January 3, 2011

1883 Photographer

Anyone that has visited this site, probably has already figured out how much I enjoy my Canon Power Shot SX110IS. It is easy, can zoom to 10 times, and takes great pictures.

So when I come across an article published in The Fowlerville Review in 1883 in reference to one of Fowlerville's earliest photographers, N.H. Cathcart, I marvel at what was needed to record their moment in time. Here's the article:

N.H. Cathcart, the photographer, has just placed in stock a large variety of beautiful picture frames, and they are displayed in such a manner that one cannot help but gaze with rapture upon them. He has also received a new instrument, with which he can take a picture over a foot in height.

A 12-inch photograph! It must have been amazing at times. Now we can snap a digital picture, download it to our computer, ship it off to sites such as Shutterfly or Snapfish, and sit back and wait. In a couple of days, a print will come in the mail -- sized from the traditional 4x6" or to poster size -- depending on your desires. Although, I have to admit my favorite thing to do is to create a slideshow of all my pictures and let it run as my laptop's screen saver. Oh the memories I get to relive.

No comments: