Thursday, February 24, 2011

1895 Head Cheese Poisoning

Some people love head cheese; others not so much. Now, for me, although I do enjoy a great many cultural foods of my nationality, fortunately head cheese is not one of them. I'm not sure I could stomach it.

My feelings were confirmed when I read the following article in The Fowlerville Review, published in 1895, of some head cheese sampled at a Webberville meat market:

F.J. Peek, editor of the Webberville News, Mrs. Smith and Mrs. Peek all ate head-cheese, on Thursday, of last week, purchased at the meat market at that place, which had become poisoned in some way by standing and were taken seriously ill soon after partaking. The two ladies ate sparingly and soon recovered, but the editor says he 'ate enough to kill a horse' and had a pretty hard time of it, but managed to pull through.

Now, if your curiosity has been aroused as to the exact components of head cheese, head to this link and read about it as shown on the Wikipedia site. Anyone willing to comment of their like or dislike?

No comments: