Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Squint Shot 061411

In the late 1800s, most of the buildings along the east side of South Grand Avenue were wooden as shown in this old black and white photograph.  The back corner of the brick building right at the corner can be seen, and the second one south of it might have been brick, but the remaining appear to be wooden.  By 1901, the Lockwood Exchange, which is the one with about eight awnings across it, had burned.  A brick building replaced it. 

As I've checked out this photograph, I have come to the conclusion it was taken from either the second or third floor of the Harmon building -- known then as the Palmerton block.  Once again, I made a pest of myself and asked Paul Harmon if I could go upstairs and get more pictures.  He unhesitatingly said yes so, the other day, that is exactly what I did.  I went to the second floor and snapped a picture of the same angle, only getting more of the brick building at the corner.  Enjoy . . .

No comments: